Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Library

A Library is one place where every one in their lifetime would have visited atleast once.
I know its not a temple but its more than that for students.
Its true that some of the habits you acquire in your life are hereditary; Going to library is one such for me; Thanks to my Dad who introduced me to libraries as early as in my 3rd-4th standard (early 90s).
From then onwards I treat them as a treasure buildings and any town I go I look for a local library; I would visit as often as possible till I satisfy my thirst for book reading (which ofcourse was/is never satisfied)
Its something not unique and this passion for reading and innumerable strolls to libraries is common among book readers around the world.
Each library is a treasure with wealth of knowledge accumulating year on year;
I have had so many library cards with me (one from Hyderabad State library, British Library Hyd, British Library Chennai, Melbourne city Library, Melbourne Victorian State Library); I keep counting as I know I would add more;
As a responsible citizen its also a moral duty on library goers to contribute to the libraries. Governments only do enough for citizens and its our duty to do more;
Though I have made limited contributions to library (I though offer books to children, colleagues and friends for free), I urge everyone to donate and contribute to our libraries.
Its not an expense; you read a book or a cd or dvd and once you had enough of that you can happily donate it either to a library or a friend; Though donating to a library offer great benefits as it serves hundreds or thousands of people.
Libraries in India are good but they are not better compared to the services provided in Australia. I think Europe and USA are far superior; since I never visited those places I don't know much about them.
Libraries in India need new infrastructure; they need more and more digital content; They should implement search catalogs etc; I guess some of these features might've already been implemented in big state libraries and libraries in universities and the same should happen across our small towns and villages;
Easy and free access to books is a boon to poor students who can't buy books;
The thought of contributing to libraries is already in my "What to do in a lifetime" list so I would definitely start sometime soon.
I still cherish my days when I used to prepare for IIT JEE Examination; After I return from college (8 PM), I go to a near by library and start preparing material for Chemistry Paper (till 10:30 PM and sometimes I used to doze off)
Great minds are born in Libraries; I often see people studying in my college library till late nights; I think its a pleasure of its own kind being among thousands and thousands of books and reading till the library is closed.
A library offers you a chance to live a life in books; it makes you forget everything in your life but books; Huge collection of old magazines, a century old news papers, articles; great novels, arts, music, scientific research materials and more.
There is a place for everykind of person in a library who wants to read and learn new things.
I can write more and more on libraries but its only less compared to the huge wealth and knowledge they offer to the human mankind.

Visit a library today and enjoy its benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment