Thursday, August 4, 2011

Mt Baw Baw Snow tour

I am writing this on public demand.
We had quiet a good tour last sunday to Mt Baw Baw. All of us wanted to do Skiing and hence the ever increasing interest to visit a snowy mountain.
We started quiet early on sunday, i got the last chance to the bathroom; by the time I went to the bathroom all my roommies left for Europ car office to pickup the car.
The other two friends were coming directly to the Europ car shop. 
Ok, I got ready quickly, had breakfast and walked towards the shop (15mins away); i bought a pair of gloves for 5 bucks as I know they would be needed in the snow.
The car was a dark sky blue (GM - Holden) and was looking very sexy :)
As usual our not so good driver started driving, we reached the free way and by god's grace all was well in the morning, the drive was good and we stopped at a petrol station on the free way; had coffees, roommies and others had burgers. 
I asked the shopkeeper if she serves Alocohol and I was looking for a beer and this is what she said.
"I wish, you can go to a pub or a bar to have a beer".
Between our not so good driver and my roommie drove well on the freeway. we hit the ghat road (desi word) as the place is too far and we have to drive all the way uphill. As soon as we started, our other roommie carried on with the driving and after sometime, the one who always fights with me started vomiting. yes its not so good a drive as we all had the same nausea affect due to the curves and the slopes.
But this person has vomited twice, poor guy, he always takes things to the extremes.
Anyhow he started driving again, all was good; we hired chains for the car tires( compulsory) and then continued up the hill. By the time we reached Mt. Baw Baw its almost 1 PM, that's almost 4 hour drive from Melbourne.
As soon as we were there, we hired the skiing equipment for 70$ (per head which includes jacket, trouser, skiing kit, shoes), the boots were very heavy and its difficult to walk with them on.
as soon as we started wearing the skiing skates we were falling down, unable to stop ourselves when there is slight down slope. Its all ice there, so beautiful in the sun.
some fellas helped us how to get up when you fall on ice, struggling we reached lift pass counter, took the pass (69$ per head) but unable to use the lift as even that was difficult.
only two persons got there without falling down. I reached half the distance in my fourth attempt.
Somehow I walked up the snow and tried 5-6 times skiing, fell down, got up, tried again.
All others were just doing the same, there were people who were doing somersaults not intentionally ofcourse.
I had my wrists and feet twisted over sometimes due to the sudden falls, no injuries though. It was freezing in the snow without gloves it will be next to impossible to skii, two of our mates didn't have the gloves and their hands had swollen like a fresh big tomato, one borrowed my gloves while I was leaving; my hands were freezing as soon as I removed the gloves, they became senseless by the time I walked back to the hire shop to return the equipment. We met two AP guys who were also trying to skii and one of them had a cut on his finger due to the ice (he wasn't wearing gloves).  yes its not an easy sport but a dangerous one as well.
We fed up finally and by 4 PM lost our energies and went back, the other friends were still continuing. 
All 3 of us (roommies) came back, had a shot of Red label, prawns and chips, re - energized ourselves, watched the counter girls in the hiring area for sometime while waiting for the other two to return.
they returned by 5:15 PM, we all started our way back to Melbourne, returned the chains on the way and stopped at the same petrol station, had some burgers, tea, juice and reached Melbourne.
There were not many moments to remember while driving.
The guy who always fights with me(my roommie) when ever we go out on a drive did an amazingly good job this time, i appreciate his improved driving skills though there were those usual jhatke moments. There were no fights this time, thanks to his vomiting, he didn't have the strength to fight.
Overall it was a nice drive up the hill and down the hill; we couldn't spend much time there skiing but it was a worthful experience.
I usually fear when I see down slope but this time there wasn't anything. Good that I am improving. Not many pics as we were all busy skiing but got a few as the location is simply superb and breathtaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment